Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Retired Rookie


It's a strange place where I find myself these days. 

I'm a "boomer". I am retired, my children are grown, and I have many years of business experience. However…. I am in grad school. I am just starting out, I am beginning a new career - more like a vocation - with bits and pieces of directly relevant experience. 

The current state of this calling is filled with new directions, emerging approaches to being church, calls for dramatic change, frustration with those who are trapped in past models and structures. My experience in change management, strategy, and vision facilitation gives me great hope for ways that I can contribute to the new directions being pursued for the 21st century church. But how will I be received? Am I taking up a slot that is needed by the "new generation"? And how can we all work together? 

I believe that the model for the church must embrace collaboration across generations, must involve all those who "dwell in possibility", in order to move from a narrow box of us/them to a new world view. I know I can help; I believe God has a place in mind for me in the midst of this; I am eager to learn and discern how and where I will fit, what branches I will walk out onto, what bridges I can help build, where God is calling me to be light, to be salt.

3 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you. I believe that we have a part to play. In seminary, we learn from the young and they learn from us. In ministry, we'll bring different gifts than the young, but no less important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are voicing some of my thoughts, and some that are just beginning to form. While I will remain in my secular career through graduation from seminary, I wonder where God will use me. Perhaps that is no different than anyone who feels God's calling and age does not mean a thing. I keep remembering that Jesus' work was across the generations so have to believe that I would not be where I am today if God did not have a plan and a use for me now and after graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to RevGals, Jill! It's great to read your story; I was an attorney and educator before I started seminary on 2007, and now I'm a pastor and spiritual director. It's quite a journey.

    ReplyDelete