Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Back Out on The Limb


In the past few years, I have lived through major changes in my career, my family, my marriage that left me feeling unsure and even incompetent. I lost my ability to go out on a limb and speak with the certainty and bravery I felt for so much of my life. I became vulnerable in a way that was really painful for a long time. I am now realizing that the fear and grief I've been feeling has been necessary, has helped me heal, has been a key part of what has moved me in a new direction and toward a new vocation. 

Over the past year, I have read, shared, reposted so many rich writings from so many people. They have sustained me and helped me to heal and to grow during the many changes that have been taking place in my life. 

As this new year begins, I have come to understand that it is time for me to reclaim the courage I have felt so often in my past, but which left me in recent years. It is time to go back out on that limb, and learn to speak for myself, to share my own voice. It is time to risk feedback and challenge as I learn (or relearn) to express myself. I am ready to be "out here" again, and I hope to find readers who will engage with me and help me find my voice. Here's to 2013!

8 comments:

  1. I look forward to hearing your voice, Jill, and to being in conversation with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, my friend! I'm honored and grateful to be walking alongside you these past 3 years. May 2013 be filled with all good blessings amongst the challenges as we move into this new part of the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jill,
    We don't know each other, I'm one of the RevGals (who mostly posts on Friday Fives!). I've also been going through some trials during the last few years, the most deeply personal and painful of which has to do with vocation. Dovetailing with the new year is a commitment to do more than pray and reflect in an effort to move toward wherever I am meant to be. I would be grateful to share this effort with you (it's been something of a lonely ride at my end), if you seek companionship with others in the same boat.

    Blessings to you as you journey forward, in 2013 and beyond.

    Anne Fraley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, thanks for connecting! I'm looking forward to getting to know you more in the year to come.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, friends, for your encouraging words! It's an honor to be walking this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go, Jill, Go! I'm so proud of the way you have grown these past few years. I feel honored to be a witness. And I'm excited to see what God has for you as you step out in faith this year. Be strong and courageous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go Jill! Your first post rings true for many of us. Keep writing and we will keep listening to your voice!

    ReplyDelete