Monday, March 25, 2013

The Right Answer

There is a moment that is clearly marked in my consciousness, although I could not tell you the date, or even the year, that it happened. It was probably 15+ years ago now. I had moved from a variety of engineering-related positions into a new role in charge of strategic planning. And one day, in one moment, it became crystal clear to me that there were no longer any right answers that could be calculated, about which I could be certain, to the problems and decisions I now faced, for which I was now responsible. There were no more equations to rely upon. At that moment, and so many times thereafter, I began to pray for guidance.

I just remembered this transformative moment, as I am pacing around my house, trying to corral myself into finishing my sermon for this Thursday evening, knowing in general what I need to say, but continuing to search, on my bookshelf, on the internet, and in my mind and heart, for just the right words, for a good supporting story, another key piece of something to include... for the right answer.  And once again, this moment comes back to me, like it was yesterday - stop looking for certainty. Pray. Trust in the power of the Holy Spirit, not in your own abilities. And go forward, get going, in confidence and boldness - because it's not your work anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Yes. This. And print a copy of this to put in your place where you sit down to write.

    ReplyDelete